Every apartment building, parking garage and high-rise office building was once just a simple patch of dirt. In our modern world, the transition from one to the other is an extraordinarily complex process that begins long before the first shovelful of dirt is turned over.
Will the building comply with comprehensive and land development codes? Will it conform to zoning and environmental laws? What about drainage and access, billboard regulations, noise level limitations, architectural review and preservation, alcoholic beverage regulations and traffic plans?
Our firm can guide the project through the Byzantine maze of rules, laws, codes and guidelines.
The firm’s land use lawyers have substantial experience in obtaining approvals from local and state governments for landowners, homebuilders, commercial developers, including bar and restaurant owners. Also, the firm represents local governments in eminent domain and land use matters.
The firm, its land use attorneys and eminent domain attorneys are experienced in representing property and business owners in administrative proceedings before federal, state, and local agencies, involving wetland permitting, access management and billboard matters. The firm also handles land use litigation, including appeals to administrative agencies, circuit and appellate courts.
The firm has also influenced the creation of many rules and regulations by working with governmental officials and legislatures to create laws that reflect realistic, reasonable solutions for our clients and the public. These include many changes to zoning codes, comprehensive plans and noise ordinances.
Our areas of land use law expertise include:
- Land Use and Environmental Resolution / Dispute Mediation
- Alcoholic Beverage Zoning and Licensing
- Concurrency and Transportation
- Special Use, Special Exception and Conditional Use Permits
- Florida Community Planning Act
- Developments of Regional Impact (DRIs)
- Developer Orders
- Historic Preservation
- Inter-local and Development Agreements
- Land Use Litigation
- Platting and Subdivision Law
- Site Plans
- State and Local Comprehensive Planning
Meet the Team
- Property Taxes: Speak Now or Forever Hold your Peace
- Primed for a Life in Music
- Just got your property tax bill?
- “Property Tax Exemptions or Classifications – Are You Getting What You Deserve?”
- Florida Legislature Tables Tax Relief for Commercial Tenants
- Real Estate Due Diligence Update
- Did You Receive Your Property Tax Bill?
- Real Estate Crowdfunding – What’s In It for You?
- St. Pete Beach Poised For New Development?
- “AS IS,” is it as Simple as it Sounds?
- Recent Changes to St. Petersburg’s Historic Preservation Ordinance
- Johnson Pope Takes the Lead in a Major Affordable Housing Development
- We Are Pleased Mark Bentley Has Joined Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns
- Florida Legislative Changes to Alcoholic Beverage Laws Make it Easier for Restaurants and Movie Theaters to Sell Liquor
- Florida Eminent Domain: Maximizing Your Right to Full Compensation
- Johnson Pope Partner Mark Bentley Receives APA Distinguished Service Award