Joan has been practicing with the firm since 1986 in the areas of labor and employment law, commercial real estate, collaborative law, and mediation. She is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by The Florida Bar, is a Certified Circuit Civil Mediator, and is trained in Civil Collaborative Law.
Distinctions & Memberships
- Admitted to The Florida Bar in 1986
- U.S. District Courts, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law
- The Best Lawyers in America© since 2006, Labor and Employment Law
- Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year”,
2016 Litigation – Labor and Employment
2017 Employment Law – Management
2019 Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Selected for Inclusion in Super Lawyers
- AV Rated through Martindale-Hubbell
- Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Leadership Pinellas Class of 1993
- Florida Bar Labor and Employment Law Certification Committee, Chair 2004-2005
- Clearwater Bar Foundation, President 2007-2009
- Saint Paul’s School Board of Trustees, Chair 2009-2011
- Keystone Prep High School Board of Trustees
- Upper Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce Board of Trustees
- Pinellas County Unified Personnel Board
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- College of William & Mary, B.A. in Economics
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D. with Honors
- Law Review
- Moot Court Board
- Walter Mann Award
- James Carlisle Rogers, Jr. Award
- University of South Florida Mediation Institute
Joan M. Vecchioli joined Johnson Pope in 1986 upon graduating with honors from Stetson University College of Law, where she was a member of the Law Review and competed on the Moot Court Board. She received her bachelor’s degree in economics from the College of William and Mary.
Since joining the firm, Joan has gained experience in the areas of commercial litigation, commercial real estate transactions, education, and labor and employment law. Currently, her practice focuses on labor and employment issues, commercial real estate, collaborative law, and mediation.
Joan has been certified by The Florida Bar in the area of labor and employment law and has successfully handled discrimination and harassment claims involving age, race, sex, religion, marital status, national origin and disability under local, state and federal laws. Additionally, she has drafted sexual harassment policies, drug testing policies, family and medical leave policies, employee termination agreements, personnel manuals and employee handbooks for use by Florida employers. Joan has also counseled clients on federal fair labor standards, employee applications and terminations, polygraph testing, unemployment compensation and employee benefits issues. Joan has taught employment discrimination and legal research and writing courses at Stetson University College of Law and St. Petersburg College (formerly SPJC). Joan has also lectured at seminars and published articles on various labor and employment issues. To view some of these articles, please click on the links above.
In the real estate arena, Joan has represented developers in connection with their acquisitions and developments of residential and commercial properties. Her services have included drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements, leases, construction documents, development agreements, and easement and operation agreements. She has also represented both lenders and borrowers on commercial financing issues and has prepared and negotiated loan documents in connection with acquisitions as well as refinancings and new construction.
Additionally, Joan has handled housing, public accommodations, and education discrimination claims filed under local, state and federal laws. She is also a Certified Circuit Civil and Federal Mediator and has been trained in Collaborative Law.
As a Young Lawyer, Joan organized and served as an advisor to the North Pinellas County Law Explorer Post, a division of the Boy Scouts of America, allowing high school students in the greater Clearwater area to explore potential careers in law. She also acted as a mentor in the Doorways Program sponsored by the Pinellas County School Board and is a graduate of the Leadership Pinellas Program.
Joan formerly served as a chair of a Florida Bar grievance committee and was a member of the Board of Directors of the Young Lawyers’ Section of the Clearwater Bar Association. She is a former Chair of the Board Certification Committee for the Labor and Employment Law Section of The Florida Bar, a past President of the Clearwater Bar Foundation, and a past Board Chair for Saint Paul’s School in Clearwater. She currently serves as a Trustee for the Upper Tampa Bay Chamber of Commerce and sits on the Personnel Board for the Pinellas County Unified Personnel System. Joan is AV rated through Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers.
- Structuring Group Medical Practices: Labor and Employment Issues The Medical Staff Counselor, 1993 (co-authored)
- Securities Regulation: The Sale of a Closely-Held Business in Light of Landreth Timber v. Landreth, Stetson Law Review, 1986
- Shielding Employers from Liability: Tips for Maintaining Your Armor
- Fair Labor Standards Act Update
- Labor and Employment Law Watch 2018
- Best Employment Practices: Conducting Self Audits and Protecting Trade Secrets.
- Countdown to Compliance: Are You Prepared for the New Overtime Regulations?
- Fifty Shades of Gray: Employment Discrimination is Not Black and White
- Supreme Court Update
- Joan Vecchioli speaks to myLawCLE about Facebook Firings
- Orange is the New Trap: Considering Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions
- Employee Handbooks: Shields or Swords?
- 32 Lawyers from Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized in “The Best Lawyers in America®” 2019 – Three Recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” in Their Respective Practice Areas
- 30 Lawyers from Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized in “The Best Lawyers in America®” 2018 and Two Partners as “Lawyer of the Year” in Their Areas of Practice
- Johnson Pope Lawyers Named 2017 Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year”
- Best Lawyers 2016
- ‘Florida Super Lawyers’ Recognizes 17 Attorneys from Johnson Pope
- Joan Vecchioli Receives Award
- 14 JP Lawyers Listed as “Best Lawyers 2014”
By Joan M. Vecchioli, Colleen M. Flynn & Rachael L. Wood — August 2018
Welcome to our Labor and Employment Group blog where we will discuss legal issues and address questions that frequently arise in our practice and provide updates and analyses of statutory and case law developments in the area of Labor and Employment Law. Our Labor & Employment Group regularly represents employers […]