Colleen joined Johnson Pope in 2002 after practicing for five years in Chicago. Colleen practices in the areas of labor and employment law, public sector law and commercial litigation. In addition to representing employers in all aspects of employment litigation, Colleen advises clients on day to day employment and personnel policy issues. Colleen has extensive experience defending property owners from Title III ADA access cases. She also represents governmental entities not only in employment issues but also in administrative issues, sunshine law and public records law.
Distinctions & Memberships
- Admitted to the Illinois Bar, 1997 (currently inactive status)
- Admitted to the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois , 1997
- Admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit , 2002
- Admitted to the Florida Bar, 1999
- Admitted to the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2002
- Admitted to the United States Circuit of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, 2006
- The Best Lawyers in America© since 2018, Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Clearwater Bar Association, Chair of Labor and Employment Section 2012-2013, 2013-2014
- Leadership Pinellas Class of 2006
- Junior League of Clearwater-Dunedin
- Florida Bar Grievance Committee
- Vanderbilt University – B.A. with a double major in Political Science and Sociology, 1994
- University of Illinois College of Law – J.D. 1997
Colleen joined Johnson Pope after practicing for 5 years in Chicago. Colleen practices in the labor and employment group and the commercial litigation group. Colleen has experience representing businesses and individuals in all types of disputes. She also has successfully represented businesses and individuals in employment related matters including discrimination and harassment claims involving age, race, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, and disability under local, state and federal laws as well as claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act and both the state and federal whistle-blower statute.
Colleen counsels clients on employment policies including terminations, leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act, reasonable accommodations under the ADA and has drafted employee handbooks, employment contracts, non-compete agreements and severance agreements.
Colleen has extensive experience defending property owners in ADA access cases in federal court.
- Shielding Employers from Liability: Tips for Maintaining Your Armor
- Labor and Employment Law Watch 2018
- Best Employment Practices: Conducting Self Audits and Protecting Trade Secrets.
- What Employers Need to Know About the Defend Trade Secrets Act
- Countdown to Compliance: Are You Prepared for the New Overtime Regulations?
- Fair Labor Standards Act Regulations Are Changing
- Supreme Court Update
- Colleen Flynn speaks to myLawCLE about Breastfeeding in the Workplace
- Employment issues in the event of a hurricane
By Joan M. Vecchioli, Colleen M. Flynn & Rachael L. Wood — August 2018
Welcome to our Labor and Employment Group blog where we will discuss legal issues and address questions that frequently arise in our practice and provide updates and analyses of statutory and case law developments in the area of Labor and Employment Law. Our Labor & Employment Group regularly represents employers […]