Scott has been with Johnson Pope for his entire legal career, beginning in 1984. Scott practices in the firm’s Tampa office. In his practice, Scott has represented individuals and entities in a wide range of commercial and business litigation matters, including securities arbitration and litigation, contract litigation, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims, limited liability company and corporate litigation, joint venture disputes, shareholder disputes, legal and accounting malpractice claims, real estate litigation, real estate broker commission disputes, and a variety of other business litigation.
In 1992, Scott began representing investors in securities arbitration and litigation matters. Since the late 1990s, a primary focus of Scott’s practice has been representing investors in arbitration proceedings and in state and federal courts, pursuing claims against stockbrokers, investment advisors, insurance agents, broker/dealers, and other financial professionals. Since 1997, Scott has been a member of the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (“PIABA”), a national bar association dedicated to protecting investor rights and promoting fairness in arbitration proceedings. Scott was a member of PIABA’s Board of Directors from 2008 through 2017. He is a past President of PIABA. Scott has spoken at seminars on securities-related matters, including the Practicing Law Institute’s annual securities arbitration seminar and PIABA’s annual meeting seminars. Scott has a website that describes his securities arbitration and litigation practice and that provides information about securities claims, www.floridasecuritiesfraudlawyer.com
Another focus of Scott’s practice has been the representation of real estate brokers, real estate brokerage firms, and property owners in real estate-related litigation and in real estate commission disputes. Scott has lectured on a variety of real estate brokerage issues at Florida Association of Realtors seminars, FGCAR meetings, Greater Tampa Association of Realtors seminars, and in-house seminars for brokerage firms.
Licensing & Admissions
- Admitted to The Florida Bar – 1984
- Board Certified Business Litigation Lawyer – 1997
- Admitted to U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida – 1984
- Admitted to U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit – 1998
Distinctions & Memberships
- Peer selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the practice area of Commercial Litigation, 2012, and the practice areas of Litigation-Securities, Commercial Litigation, and Litigation-Trust & Estates, 2013 through 2019
- AV® rated in Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory since 1999
- Past President of the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (“PIABA”)
- Member of the Board of Directors of PIABA, 2008-2017
- Member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association, 1990-Present
- Vanderbilt University B.A., cum laude – 1979
- University of Florida J.D., with honors – 1983
When He’s Not Working Hard for Clients
Scott enjoys spending time with his family, golf and exercise.
- 32 Lawyers from Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized in “The Best Lawyers in America®” 2019 – Three Recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” in Their Respective Practice Areas
- 30 Lawyers from Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized in “The Best Lawyers in America®” 2018 and Two Partners as “Lawyer of the Year” in Their Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers 2016
- 14 JP Lawyers Listed as “Best Lawyers 2014”