Phil has over 39 years of experience in the areas of securities, business, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate law. He has been named one of the top Florida lawyers in Florida Trend’s Florida Legal Elite. He is a member of the Florida Bar and the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association. He has served on the ABA’s advisory panel, its Committee on Mergers and Acquisitions and its Private Equity M&A and M&A Jurisprudence subcommittees.
Phil’s expertise includes:
- Business formation & choice of entity
- Mergers & acquisitions from both buyer and seller perspectives
- Business dispositions
- Syndication & brokerage of private equity
- Venture capital structure & private equity investment fund formation & representation
- Other private securities offerings, including the structuring of other companies conducting private offerings
- Executive employment & compensation representation
Over his career, he has represented and sat on the board of many public and private companies. He also represents individuals forming new business entities and securities broker-dealers and advises clients with respect to securities compliance matters. He provides general representation of companies and individuals engaged in many types of businesses and business transactions, including cable television, technology, finance, biomed, medical, manufacturing, and hospitality, among many others.
Part of Phil’s practice is devoted to advising clients with respect to employment agreements, equity compensation plans and “golden parachutes.” He has represented significant clients in many industries.
Phil was a co-founder of a company that he took public which was traded on the NASDAQ. He served for over twenty years as a member of the board of directors and various committees of an international American Stock Exchange traded company and also serves on and advises members of the board of directors of companies with respect to corporate governance matters.
He is a frequent speaker on subjects such as developments in federal and state securities laws and various state laws.
AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for 25+ Years
Phil has been Peer Review Rated as AV® Preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review rating system. The AV® Peer Review Rating shows that a lawyer has reached the height of professional excellence. He or she has usually practiced law for many years, and is recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity. This rating is the result of a peer review system based upon the confidential opinions of practicing attorneys and members of the judiciary.
The Best Lawyers in America© for the practice categories of Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Securities Regulation, since 2020
- Youngstown State University; BA 1972
- Stetson University College of Law; JD 1975
Stetson is nationally ranked #3 in trial advocacy and #3 in legal writing by U.S. News & World Report
- 48 Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns LLP Lawyers Recognized by Best Lawyers® 2024
- 48 Lawyers from Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023—Four recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” In Their Respective Practice Area
- 46 Lawyers from Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized In The Best Lawyers In America® 2022—Five Recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” In Their Respective Practice Area
- 47 Lawyers From Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized By Best Lawyers® 2021 – Four Recognized As “Lawyer of the Year” In Their Respective Practice Area
- 36 Lawyers From Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized In Best Lawyers In America® 2020 – Three Recognized As “Lawyer Of The Year” In Their Respective Practice Area