Michael has represented many businesses and individuals in business and tax matters since joining the firm in 1991. He concentrates his practice on business transactions, with an emphasis on the tax aspects involved. A large portion of his work is dedicated to family wealth preservation. He also focuses on personal tax and estate planning for individuals, where his expertise encompasses both federal and state tax issues, including tax controversy matters.
Distinctions & Memberships
- Admitted to The Florida Bar – 1990
- Admitted to United States Tax Court
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America© since 2014, in the field of Trusts and Estates
- Tampa Bay “Top Lawyers”
- Executive Council of Tax Section, Director’s Committee, The Florida Bar
- Former Director and Treasurer, Clearwater Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Former Director, Hospice Institute of the Florida Suncoast
- Director, Palm Harbor YMCA
- Florida State University B.S., summa cum laude – 1987
- Stetson University J.D., cum laude – 1990
- University of Florida LL.M. – 1991
When He’s Not Working Hard for Clients
Michael is a big fan of sports and traveling with his family.
Michael G. Little joined Johnson Pope in 1991, after receiving his Master of Laws in Taxation from the University of Florida College of Law, where he received the Florida Bar Tax Section Scholarship. While at the University of Florida College of Law, Michael served as a graduate assistant for Professor James J. Freeland. Prior to obtaining his law degree, Michael received a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting summa cum laude, from Florida State University.
Since joining the firm, Michael has represented many entities and individuals in business and tax matters. He concentrates his practice on family wealth preservation representing his clients in their business planning, succession planning and estate planning. His practice also encompasses both federal and state tax controversies. Michael represents many McDonald’s franchisees as well as automobile dealers throughout Florida.
Michael is the author of an article entitled “Extra-Judicial Discussion of Taxpayer Information – The IRS Bully is Still on the Block” which was published in the December 1991 issue of the Florida Law Review. Michael has worked on tax issues with several non-profit organizations including the Long Center, the Florida Orchestra, Morton Plant Mease Hospital Foundation, and the Performing Arts Center.
Michael is a member of the Florida Bar, and its Florida Bar Tax Section, having served as Assistant Director of the Federal Tax Division and Chair of the Committee on S Corporations for many years. He is also a member of the American Bar Association and Clearwater Bar Association.
Michael is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© since 2014, in the field of Trusts and Estates and has been recognized as one of Tampa Bay’s Top Lawyers.
Michael enjoys golf, travel and outdoor sporting activities. Michael and his wife have four daughters.
- 32 Lawyers from Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized in “The Best Lawyers in America®” 2019 – Three Recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” in Their Respective Practice Areas
- 30 Lawyers from Johnson, Pope, Bokor, Ruppel & Burns, LLP Recognized in “The Best Lawyers in America®” 2018 and Two Partners as “Lawyer of the Year” in Their Areas of Practice
- Meet Our Tax Team
- Best Lawyers 2016
- 14 JP Lawyers Listed as “Best Lawyers 2014”
- Meet Our Business & Tax Law Group