Zoning compliance is often disputed by local governments. This includes the governments’ contention that a property’s existing or proposed use, or its characteristics of use (height, parking, setbacks, landscape, etc.), fail to comply with the local government’s applicable zoning regulations and/or its comprehensive plan.
These disputes often result in code enforcement actions being initiated by local governments to force compliance with its codes. Failure to comply may result in fines being imposed or an owner or operator being sued by the local government.
Our firm has assisted numerous property and business owners in resolving these matters, and can provide the following services:
- Resolving disputes at the staff or administrative level.
- Handling appeals to local governments’ determinations of non-compliance.
- Rezoning properties or amending comprehensive plans to bring properties into compliance.
- Representation before code enforcement boards to eliminate or mitigate sanctions.
- Representation before local courts.