In 1984, Scott joined Johnson Pope and began his practice in the firm’s Clearwater office. After six years in the Clearwater office, Scott moved his practice to the firm’s Tampa office. In his practice, Scott has represented individuals and entities in a wide range of commercial litigation matters, including securities arbitration and litigation, contract litigation, legal and accounting malpractice claims, real estate litigation, real estate broker commission disputes, joint venture disputes, shareholder disputes, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims, limited liability company and corporate litigation, and a variety of other business litigation.
In 1992, Scott began representing investors in securities arbitration and litigation matters. Since the late 1990s, a primary focus of Scott’s practice has been representing investors in arbitration proceedings and in state and federal courts, pursuing claims against stockbrokers, investment advisors, insurance agents, broker/dealers, and other financial professionals. Since 1997, Scott has been a member of the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (“PIABA”), a national bar association dedicated to protecting investor rights and promoting fairness in arbitration proceedings. Scott has served on PIABA’s Board of Directors since 2008. He is a Past President of PIABA. Scott has spoken at seminars on securities-related matters, including the Practicing Law Institute’s annual securities arbitration seminar and PIABA’s annual meeting seminars.
Another focus of Scott’s practice has been the representation of real estate brokers, real estate brokerage firms, and property owners in real estate-related litigation and in real estate commission disputes. When the Florida Gulfcoast Commercial Association of Realtors (“FGCAR”) was formed in 1986, Scott became an affiliate member and later served as counsel for FGCAR. Scott has lectured on a variety of real estate brokerage issues at Florida Association of Realtors seminars, FGCAR meetings, Greater Tampa Association of Realtors seminars, and in-house seminars for brokerage firms.
Scott has a website that describes his securities arbitration and litigation practice and that provides information about securities claims, www.floridasecuritiesfraudlawyer.com
Licensing & Admissions
- Admitted to The Florida Bar – 1984
- Board Certified Business Litigation Lawyer – 1997
- Admitted to U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida – 1984
- Admitted to U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit – 1998
Distinctions & Memberships
- The Best Lawyers in America© since 2012, in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Securities, Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Past President of the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (“PIABA”)
- Member of the Board of Directors of PIABA, 2008-Present
- Member of PIABA, 1997-Present
- AV® rated in Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory since 1999
- Recognized by Florida Trend Magazine in 2006 as a member of Florida’s Legal Elite in the practice area of Commercial Litigation
- Peer selected as a Florida Super Lawyer in 2006 in the practice area of Securities Litigation and from 2007 through 2014 in the practice area of Business Litigation
- Peer selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Commercial Litigation, 2012, and the practice areas of Litigation-Securities, Commercial Litigation, and Litigation-Trust & Estates, 2013 through 2017
- Member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association, 1990-Present
- Vanderbilt University B.A., cum laude – 1979
- University of Florida J.D., with honors – 1983
When He’s Not Working Hard for Clients
Scott enjoys spending time with his family, golf and exercise.
- Variable Annuities
- Morgan Stanley Agrees To Settle Charges Related to Inverse ETFs
- Best Lawyers 2016
- Stockbrokers and Brokerage Firms Can Be Held Liable for Negligence
- 14 JP Lawyers Listed as “Best Lawyers 2014”
- ‘OnWallStreet’ identifies JP Partner as a top ten power player on the investment advisory industry.