Mike is a shareholder and the chair of the firm’s corporate and securities group. He has practiced corporate, securities and banking law for over 30 years. Prior to joining us, Mike spent three years in the Division of Corporate Finance at the Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C. and three years as a Certified Public Accountant with the international public accounting firm of Deloitte & Touche.
Our corporate and securities practice is very diverse. It involves public and private securities offerings, venture capital and private equity investments, mergers and acquisitions, representation of public companies and emerging private growth companies. Mike has significant experience on sell side transactions of private companies selling to public companies, strategic acquirors and private equity firms.
Mike represents many health care related businesses, such as nutraceuticals, health care software products and pharmaceuticals. He is also a community banker and a founding director and Audit Committee Chairman of Patriot Bank.
Listed in the Bond Buyers Red Book, Mike has participated in over $1 billion of affordable housing bond offerings and is also very active in community land trust initiatives.
Mike handles the defense of administrative proceedings brought by securities regulators. Recently, under Mike’s supervision, the firm received a favorable ruling after oral arguments before the SEC overturning the Chief Administrative Law Judge’s decision in a Madoff feeder fund case. He also represents broker-dealers in their placement agent and underwriting business and recently served as managing dealer counsel for a $950 million public preferred stock REIT offering and has represented placement agents in numerous real estate private placements.
Mike’s practice is indicative of the diversity of the Tampa Bay business community and the breath of his experience is a valuable asset in providing sound legal counseling to many of our clients.
Distinctions & Memberships
- Clearwater Bar Association Member
- Admitted to The Florida Bar in 1985
- Admitted to The Georgia Bar in 1983
- Certified Public Account – 1977
- University of Florida B.S., B.A. magna cum laude – 1977
- University of Georgia J.D., cum laude – 1983
When He’s Not Working Hard for Clients
Mike and his wife, Debbie, have three sons; Matthew, Daniel and Ian, all of whom were born in Pinellas County. Mike is one of those rare native Floridians.
He enjoys practicing Tai-Chi, Border Collies, nature, and spending time with his wife. We are very fortunate to have a lawyer with Mike’s background, character and diverse experience.
- CRONIN’S CORNER – Fiduciary Duties of Not for Profit Corporation Directors
- CRONIN’S CORNER – Our Manufacturing Roots Run Deep
- CRONIN’S CORNER – Telemedicine Directly Connecting the Patient with the Physician
- Meet Our Business & Tax Law Group
- CRONIN’S CORNER – The Executive Employment Agreement
- Cronin’s Corner – Franchising
- Franchising and Business Opportunity World