Colby is a state and federal court trial lawyer representing clients in financial disputes and personal injury matters including auto accidents, wrongful death, premises liability incidents, defective products and other types of negligence actions. He has litigated in a variety of state and federal courts at the trial and appellate level.
Prior to joining Johnson Pope, Colby served the people of the State of Florida as an Assistant State Attorney in the Sixth Judicial Circuit of Florida for over three years. During that time, Colby litigated thousands of cases ranging from white-collar crime (e.g., fraud, conspiracy, theft, embezzlement) to violent offenses (e.g., first degree murder, robbery, aggravated battery). He brought over forty jury trials to verdict, and advocated before the Grand Jury to a successful indictment on a capital offense. Based on his trial experience, he was selected as the Lead Trial Attorney, and presented awards for Excellence in Prosecution by RID of Tampa Bay and for Outstanding Service as a Prosecutor. Since joining Johnson Pope, Colby has bolstered his trial and litigation experience. He has advocated in multiple civil trials regarding complex commercial, financial and contractual disputes.
In addition to practicing law, Colby is a Trial Advocacy Skills Instructor at Stetson University College of Law. He coached the nationally recognized Trial Team to a first place finish in the Florida Justice Association’s Mock Trial Competition.
Distinctions & Memberships
- Admitted to The Florida Bar – 2011
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Victor O. Wehle Trial Advocacy Award
- William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honors Fraternity, Member
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Member
- St. Petersburg Bar Association, Member
- St. Petersburg Yacht Club, Member
- University of South Florida, B.A. – 2006
- Former Letterman, University of South Florida Varsity Football
- Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., Concentration in Advocacy – 2010
- Stetson Law Review, Senior Associate
- Stetson Trial Team, Member
- American Association for Justice Regional Champion and National Quarter-Finalist – 2010
- Lone Star Classic National Semi-Finalist – 2010
- Academic Honor Roll
When He’s Not Working Hard for Clients
Colby enjoys boating, fishing, and enjoying Tampa Bay with his wife and young son.